Wow, what a day so far! So busy! But last night I finished my latest crafty obsession and today I can finally share pictures of it with you! Okay, drum roll please!
It is a little fishing game I crafted out of mostly felt, some steel washers, bamboo and crazy magnets. Because I only get nap times and bed times to do the bulk of my crafting (Wednesday is so curious I cannot get anything done) this took me the better part of the week to finish but I did it. With a bunch of ways to improve it so that I am not AS happy with this as I should be. But, I am really really happy with how it turned out. Especially considering my skill level and artistic talent (or lack thereof).
I have to note that the original idea is NOT mine. I found a picture of a similar item in this photostream at Flickr. I cannot link to the original photo or set because of the author's settings but you should check out her photostream, she has both great taste and great talent for making childrens toys.
It was essentially a practical lesson in machine embroidery because all of the stitching was done on a machine with various zig zag and straight stitches. I learned as I went and I learned quite a bit. I can't wait to tackle another project that requires some sort of machine embroidery.
Clockwise from top left:
White salmon, yellow tuna, red tuna, blue whale, hermit crab, octopus, sea turtle, two jellyfish, starfish, two sea weeds and a great white shark.
The first three fish look kind of funny because they were my first and I did a combination of straight and zig zag stitches. By the time I reached the octopus (which was my last) I was a pro at the whole 'machine embroidery thing'. And when I was sewing the washers on I realized I could have put the washer inside since the magnets were so awesome. Another thing to try next time. The batting is an eco friendly poly made from corn! (Which I thrifted for a buck at a local charity shop.) The felt is eco-spun made from recycled plastic bottles.
The fishing poles are bamboo garden stakes sawed in half with a hand saw and a shiny red string tied to one end (to be glued soon as tying was a bad idea) and then I wrapped some cloth around the magnet and tied the string around that. In theory it was a good idea but the fabric I used to wrap the magnet was way to flimsy. After just a few minutes of play the corners of the magnet were wearing through the cloth. I will sew up some felt packaging this weekend. It will also dull the power of the magnets.
The bag is a simple sewn drawstring bag all straight stitched but I do double hem the seams because I really don't like fraying edges. The lettering and fishing pole were my very first attempt at such a thing and although I was smart enough to back it with something, felt was the wrong thing. It catches on the tracks just a bit too much, next time I will invest in some interfacing.
The blue sea is some sheer yardage I bought at Value Village just the other day for I think a couple bucks.
Some action shots from this morning. I babysat my cousin's son again and this was a big hit with both children. They played it for probably a good solid half hour. Not bad for a two and four year old. It was worth all of the late nights and neck cramps. I can't wait to do it again, maybe he'll get one for Christmas.
I really had so much fun making this. All the felt, fabric and notions I had on hand but I did have to go out for the washers, bamboo and magnets. All in all the whole 'game' cost me about fifteen dollars not including felt. Totally awesome.
I think that is all I can say about that for now. Good night folks!