Sunday, August 16, 2009

When Life Gives you Zucchini, you make cake!

Giant zuchini

The single zucchini from our garden. Looks ginormous next to a mini muffin yes?

Giant baby eating giant zuchini

Wednesday kept calling it a "Keemy" and asking to hold on to it.

Lemon, blueberry zucchini bread

This was probably the most moist, the most tasty, the most delicious cake bread I have had in ages. I wish I could take credit for the recipe but alas I cannot. I just baked it to perfection. The recipe came via someone on my friends list on Livejournal. It is here at Virtual Cities. I will paste the text out for you too though.

Lemon/Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
3-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
Juice of 1 lemon
Chopped zest of 1 lemon
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup frozen Maine wild blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour two 5 x 9-inch loaf pans. Beat eggs; add sugar and beat until well mixed. Add canola oil and beat well. Add lemon juice, zest, and zucchini and mix well with a wooden spoon.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, soda, and baking powder together. Add to the zucchini mixture; mix well. Fold in the blueberries. Pour mixture into the loaf pans and bake approximately 55 minutes until done (test with a cake tester). Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes prior to removing from pans.



Totally worth the effort it takes to grow, pick, shave and shred the zucchini!

1 comment:

happybirdycake.blogspot.com said...

oh zucchini's... i think i am officially done with them... as I sit here waiting for mine to roast in the oven... too much of a good thing in the bounty of the garden department... Have you read Deborah Madison's vegetarian books? absolutely delicious. I love "vegetarian suppers" great zucchini tart using pine nuts and lemon zest.... I can share the recipe if you'd like... :) i am going to try your zucchini bread!